Sunday, August 27, 2006

Sacaduros


Sunday, August 27, 2006
Two kinds of dinner rolls in one week! Sarah came over for dinner for these, and she gave them her usual enthusiastic review. She also took four of them home for breakfast, so we don't have our regular problem of too much bread to eat. (Although I do have some leftover wheat sourdough with seeds and a few leftover butter-dipped dinner rolls in the freezer).
I have to say that I had some problems making these rolls, even with the step-by-step drawings in the book. You pat pieces of dough in a circle, then you put a little piece of butter in the center, along with a sprinkle of fleur de sel. Then you pull out two sides and fold them over in the middle and you do the same thing with the other sides. Then you take some other sides and do the same thing, and you may or may not do it a fourth time. The directions say you do it a total of three times, and the drawings say four. I chose four, because otherwise there would still be one side that never got any attention.
Then you plunk them in a pan of flour, top side down, and when you're done with that, you put them top side up, with a lot of flour still on top, on a baking sheet. And then you bake them. Some of the little flaps in the middle are supposed to sort of open up, which they didn't exactly do, even though I was careful not to seal them too tight.
But never mind! These are exceedingly delicious. They're crusty on the outside, and soft on the inside, with that wonderful little burst of salty, buttery flavor when you bite into the middle. They look kind of like giant Mexican wedding cakes when you take them out of the oven, but they would certainly surprise you if that's what you were expecting.
I didn't want them too salty, so I just put a small pinch. Next time I would use a bigger pinch, because they could have had more and still not have been too salty.
Still, although these are spectacular rolls, unlike the butter-dipped rolls, I wouldn't use them for a Big Dinner because they're very labor intensive at about the same time you might be trying to make the gravy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I love this project. Gosh, I wish you were my neighbor.

Anonymous said...

I also made them, see http://peho.typepad.com/chili_und_ciabatta/2006/04/ungewhnliche_ta.html
I decided to pinch them 3 times (also had the problem with the picture). But I like them quit a lot :-)

Marie said...

Cascabel,
Yours are beautiful! Next time I make them, I'll try the three-pinch method.

Anonymous said...

Yours looks great. Mine often turns out rounded and smooth. Still trying to get that open rose state. You can find me in Singapore :

www.artisanbreadsandsushi.com

Oliver:)