Saturday, March 25, 2006

Olive Bread

Saturday, March 25, 2006
One of my favorite bakeries is Turtle Bread Bakery
http://www.turtlebread.com, and one of their best breads is olive bread. Never did I think that I would be able to bake a bread that equals theirs, but I think I did. I made my first biga for this bread (never mind what it is--if you bake, you probably already know, and if you don't, you won't care), but, although I was a little apprehensive about the biga, there was no need to be.


This bread is simplicity itself: other than the olives, it has only all-purpose flour, yeast, water, and salt. With LaCloche bread baker, the crust was as crispy as you can get in a regular oven, and the body of the bread is tender and delicious. It's embarrassing how close Jim and I came to finishing this bread in one sitting.

2 comments:

Rose Levy Beranbaum said...

your bread looks EXACTLY like mine! did i already mention that you are also an engagingly delightful writer?

Marie said...

Thank you on both counts. It's easy to be an enthusiastic writer about bread, isn't it?